Safeway drops sandwich theft charges??? From AP Breaking News…
I’m cool with alot of things, but THIS one takes the cake… or in this case, the sandwich. (ES) In Honolulu, Safeway has decided NOT to press charges against a couple after they took 2 sandwiches, ate them as they shopped, and failed to pay for them. 2 sandwiches, $5. Why? Well, you see, the law in Hawaii makes it mandatory that if 2 parents are being arrested, child welfare must be called in to take the child. In this case, not ONLY did they take their 2 year old child, the mom, Nicole Leszczynski, is 30 weeks PREGNANT. Her husband, Marcin, is a former Air Force staff sergeant.
Now, here’s where it gets messed up for me. She’s pregnant, she has her other child with her, and he’s a former Air Force staff sergeant. They BOTH OPENLY ate the sandwiches while they shopped. They CLAIMED that they saved the wrappers to scan at checkout. Really? WHERE DID THEY GO??? THEN, she says,
“I didn’t know it was such a taboo thing,” she said. “Where I grew up in a small town it’s not seen as stealing for sure.”
Ok, so you DIDN’T think it was stealing, and you DIDN’T forget to pay???
“When the security guard questioned us, I was really embarrassed, I was horrified,” Nicole told AP on Monday. They were led upstairs, where the couple expected to get a lecture, pay for the sandwiches, and be allowed on their way.
But store managers wouldn’t allow them to simply pay, she said.
Oh, but it gets better… Now Safeway is saying that their people didn’t handle the situation properly. The manager called to APOLOGIZE. So now, whaddya think happens???
“I haven’t even considered it because I was just so worried about the charges,” Nicole said. “I do feel like something went terribly wrong and we were abused in some way.”
Grocery shopping is a chore that now bring some anxiety, Nicole said, adding that she has read countless comments online criticizing her for eating before paying.
Now, in my opinion, the manager is a MORON. Are you telling me they both saved the wrappers, but they BOTH forgot to pay? He now pretty much said, OK, go ahead, SUE US. She even said that, “I didn’t know it was such a taboo thing,” she said. “Where I grew up in a small town it’s not seen as stealing for sure.” Ok, so you just assumed you could walk around and eat a free sandwich? BOTH of you? And now they may sue for her “emotional damages???” Are you freaking KIDDING me?! So, they figured IF they got caught, they’d just pay up and be on their merry way? ROFL! Really? Now she’s on every interview saying that it was “horrifying.” Yeah, well, when you STEAL, that tends to happen…. Eat and run is theft. PERIOD.
Listen, I’d be horrified to be arrested and have my kid taken away for being such a freaking MORON, for doing something so STUPID. But emotional distress? That’s YOUR fault, and YOUR PROBLEM, honey! And again, BOTH of them “FORGOT to pay??? $5???”
Sorry, I’m not buyin’…
- Safeway calls cops on Hawaii parents over $5 (cbsnews.com)
- Pregnant Mom Says Sandwich Arrest Was “Horrifying” (socyberty.com)
- Safeway Not So Safe for 2-Year-Old Girls With Absentminded Parents (reason.com)
- Pregnant Mom Says Sandwich Arrest Was ‘Horrifying’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Hawaii Couple’s Daughter Taken Away for 18 Hours Over Alleged Sandwich Theft (foxnews.com)
- Mom says sandwich arrest was ‘horrifying’ (msnbc.msn.com)
- Pregnant mom says sandwich arrest was ‘horrifying’ (hosted.ap.org)
- Mom who forgot to pay for snack arrested; daughter taken (ctv.ca)
- Cheap Supermarket Sandwich Briefly Tears Family Apart [Justice] (gawker.com)
- Pregnant Mom Calls Sandwich Arrest ‘Horrifying’ (foxnews.com)
- Couple Loses Custody of Daughter for Stealing Sandwiches (inquisitr.com)
- US girl put in care after police arrest parents over alleged sandwich theft (guardian.co.uk)
- Hawaii Couple’s Daughter Taken Away for 18 Hours Over Alleged Sandwich Theft (gunnyg.wordpress.com)